Thursday, 5 December 2013

Waardigheid door goedheid

Referentie: Plato, "Apology", vertaald door Benjamin Jowett, http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1656/1656-h/1656-h.htm (geraadpleegd op 05.12.2013)


Plaatskenmerk: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1656/1656-h/1656-h.htm#link2H_4_0002/


Extract: "For the fear of death is indeed the pretence of wisdom, and not real wisdom, being a pretence of knowing the unknown; and no one knows whether death, which men in their fear apprehend to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good. Is not this ignorance of a disgraceful sort, the ignorance which is the conceit that a man knows what he does not know? And in this respect only I believe myself to differ from men in general, and may perhaps claim to be wiser than they are:—that whereas I know but little of the world below, I do not suppose that I know: but I do know that injustice and disobedience to a better, whether God or man, is evil and dishonourable, and I will never fear or avoid a possible good rather than a certain evil. "


Soort bron: een secundaire filosofische bron waarvan de integrale tekst op internet is te vinden

Commentaar: Socrates, dank je... Dank je om ons te tonen dat de mens in filosofie de bereidheid kan vinden om te sterven voor een waardig doel. Waardigheid door goedheid. Goedheid voor de mensen rondom U. De pracht van deze ethiek bewijst zich zo eenvoudig mooi, via een golf van inspiratie en moed die om de zoveel decennia al onze levens aanraakt: "During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die." - Nelson Mandela - 20/04/1964

No comments:

Post a Comment